Discover the tangy delight Katie Button’s preserved lemon recipe from the Salt episode in season 2 of From the Source! With this simple and versatile recipe, these preserved citrus wonders add a zesty twist to countless dishes. Unlock the secret to preserving citrus, elevating your culinary creations, and embracing a burst of Mediterranean magic in every bite.
- 1 canning jar or leakproof container about 1 pint
- 3 lemons
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- Wash your hands and a small canning jar or leak-proof container very well before starting. Wash the lemons. Remove about 1/8 inch from the top and bottom of the lemon and cut into quarters leaving the lemon connected at the bottom.
- Pour a quarter of the salt into the bottom of the clean jar or container. Sprinkle another quarter of the salt into the insides of the cut lemons and arrange them to fit into the container. Pour the remaining salt and lemon juice over the top and press the mixture down into all crevasses. Seal the container, making sure there are no air bubbles. If there are air bubbles, add a bit more salt and lemon juice until the bubbles are gone.
- Place the sealed container in the refrigerator, and every couple of days flip the container over. The salt will melt into a liquid over time, which is totally normal. The lemons are ready to enjoy after one month and will last indefinitely as long as they remain covered in juice and salt. Make sure to rinse the lemons when you are ready to use them.
- This recipe has been updated and may differ from what was originally published or broadcast.